Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

A Memorial Day Thank You

Thank you to each one
Who has a husband, wife,daughter or son
Fighting in a land across the sea
To provide freedom for you and me.
Thank you to those who serve
In our own land or far away.
Thank you from our hearts
On this somber celebration day.
Thank you to those who fought long ago
For the freedoms we sometimes take so casually
Those who gave their lives while still so young
To keep this nation free.
Thank you to those who were husbands and dads
Those who were daughters, moms and wives,
Who so long ago in our history on foreign soil
Gave that ultimate sacrifice...their life.
Thank you to each sweetheart
Who kissed their loved one goodbye,
And who must everyday watch anxiously
And try not to worry and cry.
Thank you to each mother
Of daughter or of son
Who sent them off when duty called,
And considered it a sacred one
Thank you to grandparents
Who had to watch those they love so much
Go off to fight in a foreign land,
And who long for just one more touch.
Thank you to the parents who taught their children
That our nation deserves their loyalty,
And the dedication and sometimes sacrifice,
If we are going to remain brave and free.
And thank you to God above us
Who watches over us and loves us,
And gave us the land that we adore,
A land with freedom worth fighting for.
Pray to God that our flagWill today and always proudly wave
Over our America, land of the free,
Our beloved America,Home of the Brave!

(from Military Moments by Thena Smith)

2 comments:

sandy said...

I love your poems. I just happened upon your blog while looking for a poem for my son on his wedding day which is this saturday. Do you do poems by request? If so, is it possible for you write one from me to my son. Please let me know. Love you work!!!

Sandy

Traci said...

Thank you, Thena...this says so well what is in my heart when I look at my son and DDIL.