Friday, May 19, 2006

Fragile...Handle With Prayer

Fragile...Handle With Prayer
Waiting, we pictured you as a healthy robust
And happily wailing newborn
With healthy heart and lungs of steel
And a definite new born will.

We laughed about who would be
The disciplinarian---Dad or me
And who would hand out cookies and juice
And got got to read you Dr. Seuss.

We packed my bag so long in advance
That I was able to do a happy dance
But all too soon it was time to go
You were coming early and you let us know.

Suddenly we were surrounded by frightful hospital stuff
And I knew it my heart this was going to be rough
.But I wasn't prepared for how tiny you would be
And how very fragile and delicate, my precious baby!

They poked you and prodded you and you were so small
I listened in agony at nurse station call
Was it you they were helping or you in distress
I knew that the doctors were doing their best.

We were so thankful
When from tubes you were free
And you could come home
With your Daddy and me

And as I think back I wondered if that is how to God we seem
As tiny and fragile, each earthy being
And if He holds us in His arms as His will keeps us alive
And through His mercy we grow and we thrive.

Oh, I learned so much much in the days
We spent with you there
I learned that each life is fragile
And to be handled with prayer.
Thena

1 comment:

Shalah said...

what a sweet poem