Sunday, February 12, 2006

A Poem a Day

Hold Me
I'm fighting for my life
And the fight is not easy
And at times the sight of me
Is hard for my friends to see.

I know that you remember me
As strong and healthy and feisty
And may not be prepared for the fact
That cancer has not treated my body nicely.

But join me in this fight today
To make every moment count
And when you come to see me, please stay
Even though you may be tempted to turn away.

I know that my hair has chosen to leave
But that no longer causes me to grieve
This outer shell doesn't impress me anymore
For I know that God has something better in store.

Do not turn away in shock or distress
Do the things with me that we've always done best
Tell me about your life and share with me tonight
And when you leave please hold me tight.

Do not be surprised if it seems I will not ever let you go
For each day that I am here is precious to me
And I want to hold close and memorize
Each precious face I see.

So come and vist and know that I understand
How hard it might be when first you take my hand
Or see my body that is now so fraile
And your eyes may tear and words may fail...

But know that I understand
But I need you even more today
And I have accepted what I've been given
And I will be beautiful and healthy once again .......in Heaven.

Thena

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Thena - this poem touches my heart. MY father's battle, suffering, and finally, death due to cancer is still so fresh for me. I read your poem and I remember him and what he went through. And yet he was such a strong person though it all. He went through so much and rarely complained - He's my hero.