Wednesday, January 18, 2006

A Poem a Day

Autism, you Said...

You said you had spoken to the doctor
And I could tell by the look on your face
Before another word was spoken
That your heart was broken.

"Autism, " you said in almost a whisper
And I had to look it up online
A definition or explanation
I had to know and had to find.


I didn't know how to comfort you
And stumbled for the right words to say
But I knew that you hurt
With pain that won't go away.

All I could do was hug you
And cry with you
And you accepted the situation with grace
For you knew it was your place.

It was your place as mother to love and nurture
And do what needed to be done
And like every mother
You wanted the best for your little one.

I watched you research and work with others
And I listened to each new thing you learned
And more and more my admiration you earned
As for a cure, a breakthrough you yearned.

You are such an inspiration to me and to others
To all of those fathers and mothers
And even though I hurt so much for you
I know that this you will get through.

I won't say the usual trite things even though
I catch myself in the middle of those trite sayings
As if my heart I am obeying to try to make it ok
By something I can do or say.

I know you don't want sympathy
You don't want to pass out blame
But you want your child to see
Just how wonderful life can be.

You want those little every day things
That most parents take for granted
And I want them for you, my friend
And I will pray for that gift until then.

Thena

No comments: